Kirsten Wild wins opening stage of Boels Ladies Tour in Holland
Kirsten Wild has won the opening stage of the Boels Ladies Tour in Holland today taking another bunch sprint and her 13th win of the season.
Wild doesn’t take the leaders jersey into stage two due to bonus seconds picked up by another rider during the stage, but this takes the burned of riding on the front of the bunch tomorrow away from the team.
The race was a very attacking one with the bunch splitting into several groups at points as the race passed over gravel roads but in the end it all came back together for a bunch sprint where Kirsten, put in position by her team mates, once again showed her impressive turn of speed.
This is the perfect start for Kirsten and the team and she looks in great form to pick up another stage win here with more sprint stages on offer.
“Today was great, I really enjoyed it,” said an elated Kirsten Wild. “The sand sections made it look like Strada Bianche and it was spectacular to ride over. The bunch was at full speed on these sections which made it tough though.
“Nearer the end the team were able to control everything and prepare the sprint for me. In the final corner I went full gas and once I started nobody could overtake me.
“I am please with the whole performance today. I have done more specific sprint training after the Lotto Tour so I knew I was ready for this race.”
“Everything went to plan today,” said a very excited Sjoerd Koster. “Before the start we knew exactly where the difficulties were with a tough 2km gravel section in the first hour. All the girls were positioned in front to protect Kirsten and on hand to help her out with a wheel if necessary.
“After that the bunch split into several groups but everything came back together with 50km to go. As soon as the bunch was together the girls took control and did what they needed to do. They countered every attack and made sure Kirsten didn’t lose any energy.
“They stayed at the front especially in the last 15km. In the final the female Team Argos-Shimano Express did a strong lead-out and Kirsten finished the job. It’s great to see them working together so well and so motivated, knowing exactly what to do.
“Tomorrow will be the team time trial. Trainer, Adriaan Helmantel, will join the team so we can analyse their performance afterwards to learn some lessons before the World Championships. We have trained a couple of times on this discipline so the result will be interesting.”
Stage 1 Result
1. Kirsten Wild (NED) Team Argos-Shimano 2:42:51
2. Elizabeth Armitstead (GBR) Boels – Dolmans Cycling Team 0:00:00
3. Trixi Worrack (GER) Team Specialized – Lululemon 0:00:00
4. Annette Edmondson (AUS) Orica – AIS 0:00:00
5. Ellen van Dijk (NED) Team Specialized – Lululemon 0:00:00
10. Amy Pieters (NED) Team Argos-Shimano 0:00:02
18. Elke Gebhardt (GER) Team Argos-Shimano 0:00:06
21. Esra Tromp (NED) Team Argos-Shimano 0:00:06
53. Willeke Knol (NED) Team Argos-Shimano 0:00:14
57. Janneke Busser (NED) Team Argos-Shimano 0:00:14
General Classification after Stage 1
1. Elizabeth Armitstead (GBR) Boels – Dolmans Cycling Team 2:42:39
2. Kirsten Wild (NED) Team Argos-Shimano 0:00:02
3. Trixi Worrack (GER) Team Specialized – Lululemon 0:00:08
4. Marta Tagliaferro (ITA) MCipollini-Giordana 0:00:11
5. Annette Edmondson (AUS) Orica – AIS 0:00:12
10. Amy Pieters (NED) Team Argos-Shimano 0:00:14
19. Elke Gebhardt (GER) Team Argos-Shimano 0:00:18
21. Esra Tromp (NED) Team Argos-Shimano 0:00:18
53. Willeke Knol (NED) Team Argos-Shimano 0:00:26
57. Janneke Busser (NED) Team Argos-Shimano 0:00:26